Many people would consider that having a lot of properties is the wealth of life. However, in fact, amongst every other thing you may have, health is the most precious thing you got in your life. Man’s health is a boon which is quite surely invaluable. You ought to preserve your health and dump all the excess energy in something fruitful as exercising. Working out is the best way to have a good fitness level, and a trim physical appearance, but never forget about healthy eating.
We all have our state of “guilty pleasure”, where we want to eat anything and everything either because someone else is eating it or our mind cannot just wake up out of the fantasy. We then tend to eat it so much we forget that we have passed our limits and then we feel gluttonous.
With so much talk of healthy foods and what you should be eating, the foods that are the worst for us can get overlooked and worse still eaten up. The reason is, it’s so hard to avoid these kinds of food because the things that make them bad also make them taste good. Drive down the streets, and chances are you’ll run across multiple fast food restaurants. In fact, there are around a shocking 160,000 fast food restaurants across the country America, and the number grows daily (research shows that). Americans eat out an average of four to five times a week, and a significant portion of those meals come from fast food restaurant chains ranging from McDonald’s to Applebee’s. Unlike Nigeria, as much as we don’t have a lot of fast food restaurants, we now have them deposited in our houses like an acquired property waiting to be eaten.
Here are some meals or unhealthy junks I try not to be caught taking
- Soda: which is acidifying, chemical-laden, and loaded with either HFCs (High Fructose Corn Syrup is a sweetener made from corn starch that has been processed by glucose isomerase to convert some of its glucose into fructose.) or artificial sweeteners (diet varieties), avoid all sodas at all costs. Instead, have some plain water.
- Fried chicken and French fries: Made from conventional chicken laden with hormones and antibiotics, covered with gluten-containing breading and chemicals like MSG (Monosodium glutamate also known as sodium glutamate is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, one of the most abundant naturally occurring non-essential amino acids.) and salt, and fried in cheap, rancid oils, fried chicken is high in calories, fat, and other chemicals that can make you sick. Skip it altogether. Please, please just NEVER OVEREAT packaged fried chicken.
- Egg and sausage sandwich: comprises of hormones, salt, antibiotics and dairy that makes breakfast sandwich a non-healthful choice. Instead, start your day with a Glowing Green Smoothie (blended from fruit and/or vegetables). You can make several and keep them in your freezer so you can always defrost one and still have one in a bind.
- Pizza: made up of Cheese and white flour combined with nitrosamine-containing salty processed meats, pizza is toxic and unhealthy. Why not try some brown rice or quinoa pasta with tomato sauce instead?
- Stick Butter or Margarine: If it can hold its shape in stick form, your butter or margarine is probably high in saturated fat. It’s the saturated fat that makes fats more solid at room temperature. In years past, most margarine also contributed high amounts of unhealthy trans-fat, though many have been reformulated. Switching to canola oil or olive oil in your cooking and baking when possible is the best option because these oils are rich in mono- and polyunsaturated fat. But if you need a spreadable fat on the table or in a recipe, try a reduced-fat margarine in a tub with no trans-fat and low amounts of saturated fat
For the sake of good health, we can attempt finding a substitute to what we should not have eaten. Bad food is tasty but good food is healthy. More to come in this informative series, keep visiting.
By Blessing Nwachukwu | [email protected]