Happy Independence everyone! We all have been experiencing the cold weather, it’s still the raining season in Nigeria and a day hasn’t gone by without it drizzling or pouring down. Most times, the day starts pretty warm, only for it to start raining once you step out the house. This has happened to me several times and I come back home cold and shaking.
Aside the warm clothing and thick duvet one can use to cover up and keep warm. There are quick home remedies that’ll keep you warm in minutes. This home remedy is food, yes because there are certain special foods for cold weather. Not cigarettes, weed, or sex. lol
Hot Cup of Tea
If you’re reading this and you can’t make a cup of tea, I have six words for you.. Sorry, that’s your cup of Tea. This is the commonest and fastest prepared of the foods for cold. It can be made from beverage, milk or just herbs under two minutes, then you sit down and enjoy! Just a right way to start the day.
Hot Spicy Jollof Rice
Yes, make it spicy to your taste, ginger and pepper helps.
Note: Don’t make it too spicy that you end up setting you stomach walls on fire. Easy on the spice especially if you’re prone to gastritis, peptic ulcer, heart burn and their kind, please kindly stick to the hot tea.
This option really appeals to me. It is easy to make once all the ingredients are available. You can take it with Akidi (Igbo) Eko (Yoruba) the English name is what I don’t know.
Ingredients for Peppery Soup
Any animal protein of your choice can be used. But for this recipe, I’ll be using Chicken.
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Ehuru or Calabash Nutmeg – 4 seeds
- Pepper (to taste)
- Dry Uziza seed – 2 teaspoons (optional)
- Onions – 1 medium bulb
- Salt (to taste)
- Seasoning – 3 Maggi / Knorr cubes, thyme
- Place the pieces of chicken in a pot and pour enough water to cover the contents of the pot.
- Add the stock cubes, thyme and onions and cook till done.
- By now, you will notice that some of the water has dried. Add more water.
- Add the ground Ehuru, dried Uziza, pepper and salt to taste.
- Ehuru has some spicy taste so you should add pepper with care. Even though it is called peppery soup, you still want to be able to taste and enjoy the recipe itself. Too much pepper might ruin it for you.
- Cover the pot and leave to boil for 5 minutes and the peppery soup is ready.
- Pepper Soup should always be served hot.
- You can also eat it with Agidi/Eko or White Rice.
This post is dedicated to all the single ladies and gentle men. #winks. Feel free to explore other foods for cold that gives you that warm nourishing comfort and satisfaction.
Stay warm and Happy Independence everyone!