Ofada Rice, also known as brown rice, is a local, Nigerian unpolished rice which is non-genetically modified. It is the short, robust and brown rice planted mostly in Ogun State and some other states in western Nigeria. The delicacy is very popular in the South-west region of Nigeria, but many who eat it, are not aware of the health benefits of Ofada rice. The rice is also good for those aspiring to lose some weight.
Due to my research on weight loss benefits on Ofada rice, I have come to understand that
- It has about twice the fiber content of regular white rice
- It lowers the level of LDL cholesterol aka bad cholesterol. Having a high level of bad cholesterol in the body is a primary reason for excess weight
- Brown rice controls blood sugar and diabetes. It does this because of the presence of soluble fiber.
- It is important for a healthy heart. It is a better choice over white because it has an ingredient that protects against high blood pressure and atherosclerosis.
- It is rich in manganese. Manganese can help to keep our bones healthy and strong. It also helps to synthesize fatty acids and cholesterol
- It is rich in Naturally-Occurring Oils which are the healthy fats which help normalize cholesterol levels
- Brown rice diet contains a high amount of fiber great for cleaning the colon. It cures constipation and intestinal blockage.
- It has two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble fiber. The soluble fiber slows the rate at which food leaves the stomach and promote a sense of satiety, or fullness after a meal. This helps to prevent overeating and weight gain.
- Insoluble fibers also helps the body get rid of some dietary fat. As it goes out of the body via the excretion process it grabs fats and carries them all the way through to the colon, where they are bundled together and eliminated from the body. Hence brown rice is preferred by people dieting to lose weight.
- Finally, brown rice is simply delicious and a fantastic staple for both vegetarian and vegan diets.
Nowadays, hardly would one find a household without rice. It is the major staple food in Nigeria and it is eaten almost every day in many homes. The funny truth is that, rice is a universal language. It is hard to hear anyone say, they do not eat rice. So eating the right kind of rice should be the focus, that’s how I boiled down to Ofada rice.
Ofada rice emits a unique aroma that is often the first attraction. It is self-preserving and one of such foods that add value to the lives of health conscious people including those who are diabetic whom experts have warned not to eat rice
Ofada rice can be eaten with
- Beef sauce
- Ayamase stew (Ofada stew)
- Cow tail sauce
Ofada rice is a healthy choice, in fact it is one of a kind because in addition to the matrix of nutrients in their dietary fibers, the whole-grain arsenal includes a wide variety of additional nutrients and phytochemicals that reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Try it and see for yourself.
Follow us at:
By Blessing Nwachukwu | [email protected]