It’s a new year, lots of excitement, lots of resolutions the do’s and don’ts. Not leaving out the diet resolutions also. You hear things such as am losing 15kg this month, I don’t want to eat unhealthy anymore, and I will go jogging every day, all this and many more you hear from people all around.
As a nutrition expert and dietician, I will be giving out some tips that will be helpful and will keep you going throughout the year 2017. When you commit to making just one simple change each day, it helps create powerful momentum toward a happier, healthier life. You don’t have to be unhappy like this.
In this new year…
- Instead of spending time and energy excluding foods you think are “bad,” redirect your efforts to including more nutrient-rich foods and you will automatically crowd out the less healthy options. Start by trying to add one fruit and one vegetable to your daily intake.
- Set aside 30 minutes each week to sit down with your calendar and plan the week ahead. Schedule your workouts, plan your meals, and make your shopping list.
- Water is part of every single function of our body, so being well hydrated literally helps our whole body work better. Ditch the soda!
- Start the Day Healthy! Make a green juice in your blender with just four ingredients: 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of fruit, the juice from 1/2 lemon and a handful of spinach or kale.
- Try to fill half your plate with colourful seasonal fruits and vegetables, and then split the rest between lean protein and whole grains.
- Make exercise a habit in year 2017.
- Sitting down at meals helps you naturally eat less and enjoy food more because you are more alert and mindful, rather than rushing and randomly grazing.
- Be mindful of portions.
- Set SMART goals. A SMART goal is one that is specific, measurable, accountable, realistic, and time specific. For example: I am going to stop my late and heavy dinner and will eat at least 6pm.
- Strategically leave healthy snacks around.